We partner with local writing instructors and literary organizations to offer free, beginner-level creative writing courses for veterans, service members, military families, and caregivers. The classes cover a combination of memoir and fiction, and sessions typically consist of direct instruction, group workshopping, and writing exercises. All courses culminate with an intimate public reading for family, friends, and the local community. Upon graduating, alumni will have the opportunity to enroll in further classes with our partners at The Muse Writer's Center in Norfolk and The Writer's Center of Bethesda.
PLEASE NOTE: Throughout 2018 and 2019, ASAP is conducting a Program Impact Evaluation (PIE) with Dr. Tom Ford of Western Carolina University and Dr. Janelle Junkin of unlock Ngenuity, LLC. ASAP is currently recruiting participants for its Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 classes. Fall 2018 Participants will complete a 30 minute survey before classes begin, a post-class survey two weeks after classes conclude, follow up surveys again at three months and six months, and at least one interview or focus group. Participants waitlisted for 2019 will be asked to participate in a pre- and post-survey in Fall 2018. Completion of each survey automatically enters participants into a drawing for a gift card. Participation in the PIE is voluntary, and your willingness to participate will not affect your admission into the program. If you have any questions about the PIE, please feel free to contact ASAP staff at email@example.com.
- Instructor: Emily Pease
- When: Saturdays, September 8th - October 20th (excluding Oct. 13th), 1PM - 3:30PM; culminating reading scheduled for October 25th at 7PM
- Where: The Muse Writer's Center, 2200 Colonial Ave #3, Norfolk, VA 23517
- Application Deadline: Applicants will be admitted on a rolling basis until August 11, 2018
- Instructor: Jim Mathews, USAF
- When: Saturdays, September 29th - November 3rd, 1PM - 3:30PM; culminating reading scheduled for November 3rd at 4:30PM
- Where: The Writer's Center, 4508 Walsh St, Chevy Chase, MD 20815
- Application Deadline: Saturday, August 25th, 2018