REINTEGRATING VETERANS THROUGH THE ARTS
We offer intro-level courses free of charge to veterans, service members, and military family members.
All of our classes culminate with a public performance for members of our local communities.
3. Alumni Support
We provide our alumni with continuous opportunities for growth as artists, performers, and people.
Weekly stand-up classes for service members, veterans, and military families led by professional comedians.
Monthly writing classes and periodic writing workshops for service members, veterans, and military families.
VETERANS AND COMMUNITY
- Encouraged to express themselves, learn new skills, and build lasting relationships through consistent classes, performances, and alumni opportunities
- Empowered with a voice and platform in the community
- Derive transferrable life skills, a renewed sense of purpose and identity, and healing benefits
- Veterans and military families build confidence and camaraderie, and share stories and experiences.
- Performances provide an engaging, non-stigmatized, and educational avenue for civilians to connect with and listen to their veteran counterparts
- Performances lower barriers, dispel inaccurate stereotypes, and foster an honest dialogue about the military experience
- Performances provide a safe and supportive space for veterans to express themselves and develop their artistic talents
We are providing veterans and military families with tools and outlets to more effectively transition into civilian life, while boosting the capacity of their local communities to better facilitate this transition.
“[Comedy Bootcamp] was life-saving. I was withdrawn from people, had thoughts of suicide, and no direction for my life. Now I am performing in front of people and looking forward to waking up everyday. Redefining my purpose ... has been a big help.”
- Scott Farley, USMC Veteran
"[Comedy] helps me change my outlook on life. When something bad happens to me now, I’m like ‘this is going to be great material,’ whereas before I would just dwell on it and get more angry and spiral more into my depression."
- Isaura Ramirez, US Army Veteran
"For some reason, when I signed up [for Comedy Bootcamp], I didn’t even think of the community aspect that would increasingly build over the next two months. The experience was really nothing short of magical."
- Bryan Banning, US Navy Veteran
Support Our Mission
Your tax-deductible donation directly empowers veterans and military family members to re-enter, find a voice, and thrive in their communities through ASAP's arts classes, workshops, performances, and alumni opportunities. With your support, we can use the arts to build communities in which our veterans and military families flourish.