Comedy Bootcamp is the first-ever stand up comedy class for veterans, service members, and military family members. Led by professional comics, the seven-week course develops the comedy writing and performing skills of participants through hands-on instruction and group feedback. Comedy Bootcamp culminates with a graduation show at a local comedy club, with each participant delivering a five minute set to a public audience. Upon graduating from the course, alumni have the opportunity to continue to practice and perform through our Veteran Open Mics, partner performances, workshops, and Alumni Mentor Program. To learn more about Comedy Bootcamp, and see some of our graduates' sets, check out our YouTube playlist below.
PLEASE NOTE: Throughout 2018, ASAP is conducting a Program Impact Evaluation (PIE) with Dr. Tom Ford of Western Carolina University and Dr. Janelle Junkin of unlock Ngenuity, LLC. The PIE includes a 30 minute survey before classes begin, a post-class survey two weeks after classes conclude, follow up surveys again at three months and six months, and at least one interview or focus group. Completion of each survey automatically enters you in to a drawing for a $50 Amazon gift card. Participation in the PIE is voluntary, and your willingness to participate will not affect your admission into the program. If you have any questions about the PIE, please feel free to contact ASAP staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When: Saturdays, September 8th - October 20th (excluding Oct. 6th), 1PM - 4PM; grad show scheduled for October 27th at 7PM
- Where: The Sandler Center, Virginia Beach, VA
- Application Deadline: Saturday, August 4th, 2018
- When: Sundays, September 16th - October 28th, 3PM - 6PM; grad show date TBD
- Where: The DC Improv Comedy Club, Washington, DC
- Application Deadline: Sunday, August 12th, 2018
In 2018, we are honored to receive programmatic support for Comedy Bootcamp from the Bob & Dolores Hope Foundation.